It would be super fun to make this little DIY sponge grass house for kids and all the family as a whole! This DIY is simple, fun, educational, and the best thing ever. It will help start kids learning about biology and nature. It might even help get their green thumbs sprouting. What you need is to make a house with kitchen sponges, pop in grass seeds on the top and watch it grow in your house!! Fast growing seeds will make you little ones the happiest. It would be great to add some green with this idea.
Supplies you may need for DIY Sponge Grass House:
- 4 new standard kitchen sponges
- fast growing grass seed
- Ruler and Permanent marker
- Scissors with a pointed tip
- Large plastic food-storage container as green house
- Spray bottle
- Sewing pins (optional)
- Make sure the new sponges are clean by rinsing them with plenty of clean water. Wring out, but do not dry fully.
- Draw the shapes to cut on the sponges using the magic marker (see images)
- Cut out the shapes using the scissors.
- To create the room, use a craft knife to cut most of the way through the sponge block to create the angle as shown. Be careful not to cut all the way through.
- Build the house on the inside of the plastic container’s lid.
- Give the house a good spray with a water bottle so that it is damp throughout but not soaking.
- When wet, take a handful of grass seen and sprinkle it all over the sponges.
- Add a little extra spray of water to the seeds and remove excess seeds from the container lid.
- Add the bottom of the container to create a mini greenhouse and position the unit in a warm place with plenty of light. Trim the grass as it grows and water as regularly as needed. (Image via Pinterest)