Sweet potatoes are not only good to eat but also nice to make a beautiful vining house plant ! You’ll be really surprised at what a beautiful house plant a sweet potato can become. The quick growing vines will have purplish green colored leaves that are very attractive. You can Grow Potato Vine Plant any time of the year and it’s an excellent activity for children to try their hand at gardening.
How to Grow Potato Vine Plant:
- Take a sweet potato that has several eyes.
- Stick four or more toothpicks or shortened skewers into the middle of the potato. Suspend the potato in a wide-mouth glass jar resting the toothpicks on the glass rim to support the potato. Fill the jar with water until it covers some of the eyes on the bottom of the potato.
- Place the jar in an area with filtered light and watch the roots grow and the eyes sprout.
- When the plant has developed a good root system and has grown at least three leaves on each sprout, move it to a pot and cover the roots and the potato with soil.
- Clip the ends of the vines when they reach eight to 10 inches long to encourage a bushier plant. Fertilize the plant on a regular basis and enjoy the beautiful results.
Here’s the link to the instructions…